As a more easily accessible watercraft than many boats, jet skis are the craft of choice and preferred to traditional boats. During the COVID-19 crisis of 2020 there was a massive surge of interest in boat ownership and jet skis were top of many buyer’s list. So much so that some dealers actually sold out of stock. If you’re planning to buy a jet ski in 2021, when stocks are replenished, we’ve compiled some hints, hacks and how-to around the purchasing process and when riding your jet ski.
How to Select and Buy the Right Model
- There are three main manufacturers of jet skis or PWCs (personal watercraft) – Suzuki, Yamaha and Sea Doo. Each offer a range of models to suit different rider capabilities and different applications. Study the ranges before purchasing, review advice columns and seek professional input to ensure you are buying a craft that you can handle.
- PWCs are available as single up to the 3 people models and designed for general rec, racing, rescue and fishing. Don’t just go for the fastest and biggest, make sure you have a craft that you can confidently control.
- You will need a trailer and a suitable vehicle to get your craft to the ramp or beach. If buying a trailer with your jet ski, speak with your Jade consultant about including both in your boat loan. Many dealers will offer a package deal of trailer and jet ski which makes the purchase a lot easier.
- To be prepared prior to purchase, speak with Jade Boat Loans about a pre-approved jet ski loan. Many dealers will offer finance, usually manufacturer-backed loans. It can be tempting to go with that while you’re at the dealership as a convenient and quick solution. But not all dealer finance is the cheapest option.
- If you want the cheapest jet ski loan then speak with Jade. You can refer to our Lender Comparison Chart to see the different interest rates being offered by various lenders as a starting point. Does the deal you’re being offered by the dealer stack up? If the dealer finance is only through the one lender then you’re not given the option of seeking the cheapest deal. If the dealer is partnered with a finance broker that operates similarly to Jade Boat Loans, then chances are they will be sourcing you a quote from multiple sources.
- Jade is accredited with multiple lenders and that means more choices and more chances to get a cheaper deal. By arranging a pre-approved loan through us prior to visiting the dealership you will have our cheap offer sorted.
- You need a licence to operate a jet ski! Check your state requirements for age and eligibility and get your licence before you ride. If you’ve never operated a jet ski, seeking out a course or tuition of some sort would be strongly advisable.
- Check your state regulations around what gear is essential to wear while you ride a jet ski. Life jackets are compulsory in many states and highly recommended by most riders. You can never be too safe when boating.
- If the dealer also sells gear, package all the kit you need in the same purchase and your Jade consultant may be in a position to include the whole deal in the one loan package.
- Some riders are now opting to also wear helmets for an added safety element. Helmets which are designed specifically for water sports would be the most suitable but a mountain biking helmet may fit the bill, or your head!
- Wearing long sleeves and long board shorts or a rashie suit will be an added layer of protection both from the sun and if you fall off.
- Speaking of the sun, the glare from the water plus the direct rays of the sun require protection with a good lathering of sunscreen. The water will wash it off so apply plenty and find a compartment on your craft to keep a bottle for a top-up.
- Eye protection is important but sunglasses are not usually the best choice. They can fall off if you don’t have a strap and the water spray will quickly disturb your vision. Investing in specially designed jet ski goggles may be money well spent. Grab a pair in your jet ski package. Look for a pair that float and are polarised.
- Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink. Might sound like a boring old saying but it they are wise words. All those on the water know you have to stay hydrated. Experts advise taking a water backpack like a camelback rather than bottles that may come loose and be lost overboard. Not only will you miss your hydration, you will be putting dangerous plastic into our waterways.
- Your hands may also need protection both from the sun and from the risk of blisters. Ask the experts as to what type of gloves would be the best choice.
- Footwear is recommended by some experts to prevent slipping and if you’re in shallow water. There are special shoes designed for watercraft.
Jet Ski Loan Hacks
Smart buyers will be prepared with a loan offer sorted by our Jade consultants. Not all banks and lenders offer dedicated jet ski loans may offer you a higher priced personal loan. As specialist marine finance lenders, Jade has access to jet ski loans priced at our cheap interest rates.
Be organised, be safe and enjoy the great fun and excitement of jet skiing.
For a quote on a jet ski loan, contact Jade Boat Loans on 1300 000 003
DISCLAIMER: NO LIABILITY IS ACCEPTED FOR MISINTERPRETATION, MISREPRESENTATIONS OR ERRORS IN THE INFORMATION AND PRODUCT DETAILS INCLUDED IN THIS ARTICLE AS SOURCED THROUGH OTHER ORGANISATIONS AND MANUFACTURERS. THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS ARTICLE IS NOT PRESENTED FOR OR INTENDED AS THE SOLE SOURCE OF FINANCIAL INFORMATION IN REGARD TO A FINANCIAL DECISION. IT IS FOR GENERAL INFORMATIVE PURPOSES ONLY. IF A READER CONSIDERS THEY MAY REQUIRE ADVICE RE THEIR INDIVIDUAL CIRCUMSTANCES, IT IS ADVISED THAT THEY CONSULT WITH A FINANCIAL ADVISOR.