If you’re super keen on buying a boat and living the boating lifestyle, but not all the members of your family, household or relevant group share your enthusiasm, it can present a dilemma. The decision to move forward with the purchase and taking on a boat loan may require majority approval. Getting all aboard could be pivotal to you, and them, achieving the reality of the boat ownership dream.
What can you do to convince everyone to get on board with your plans?
How can you fire up their enthusiasm for the great experiences that boating has to offer?
What can you do to reassure them that a boat can be a family-friendly environment?
As boat finance specialists we are fully supportive of people getting into boating so we’ve put together a few ideas for you to consider to convince those in your orbit to join you on your boat owning journey.
Balancing the Household Budget
One of the biggest sticking points when trying to convince the entire family that buying a boat is THE best idea ever can be money. That’s our specialty area so here are a few pointers.
- Jade sources cheaper finance with the best boat loan interest rates and interest rates are currently at record lows. So it can be a very fortuitous time to make lifestyle purchases with finance. Read more here.
- Our boat loans are secured at a fixed interest rate which means that even if interest rates in general increase, your loan will remain at the same rate as when it is established.
- The loan term is also fixed which results in fixed repayments. So whatever might happen to interest during your loan term, your repayments won’t increase.
- Jade loans are sourced and negotiated with individual service. So our consultants can work towards sourcing you a loan that meets your target repayments. A target that will work with your household budget.
- We can include extras and options in the boat loan – trailer, motor, safety gear etc – to minimise using cash to pay for extra expenses.
- To see how cheap your boat loan could be, invite those that need convincing to use our boat finance repayment calculator themselves to work out lending estimates.
- Discuss the option of organising pre-approved new boat finance. This may allow you to set your budget and find the boat to suit that budget with your loan locked-in. This could be a great way to convince the household landlubbers that boating is the way to go.
Teaching Juniors about Safe Boating
If you’re looking to get your children into boating, there are resources available to assist. The BIA and the National Maritime Museum have activities and videos to excite and interest juniors in boating.
These ideas are more for when you have made the purchase but could be worth mentioning during the convincing stages:-
- There are courses to teach younger members of the family about boating and it is always a great idea to get tuition from professionals. Refer to your state maritime authority on learning to sail and learn to boat schools.
- Ensure they learn to swim as a priority.
- When you’ve purchased the boat, show children how to use emergency beacons and operate the VHF radio in the event that the adults are indisposed by injury or a medical event. You can never be too safe when it comes to marine safety.
- Depending on the size of your boat, having a small child-friendly dinghy can offer heaps of fun and teach them how to row and steer a boat.
There’s more to Boating than Just Fishing!
If the boating fanatic of the family (mmmm you) is primarily interested in fishing and the rest of the family, mmm, not so much, select a boat that caters for a range of water sports. There are many boats on the market that can provide heaps of fun for the entire family including wakeboarding, water skiing and exploring great swimming spots.
To get young ones interested in fishing, check out courses in your area. The NSW Department of Primary Industries has been known to run school holiday courses and there’s sure to be many other sources. Click for more information.
Family-friendly Boat Set-up
Once you have them all aboard, there are some considerations to ensure your boat is family-friendly:-
- Purchase the necessary safety equipment when you buy the boat so it can be included in your boat loan. Life jackets will be required and the regulations around exactly which lifejacket vary depending on the age/size of children. If you have young children in the family, consider purchasing additional lifejackets now, for when they grow into the next size (kids grow fast) and have enough for visiting friends.
- Covers are an important consideration for family-friendly boats. Young children burn easily in the sun and it can be uncomfortable for all on board to be without suitable shade all day. Include covers and shade such as bimini tops etc when buying the boat so these costs can be included in your boat loan.
- Install child-proof latches on key hatches and stowage areas to keep inquisitive little ones away. Especially around fuel tanks and other chemicals.
- If you have very young children, babies and toddlers, speak with your local boat supplies store or consult with a specialist chandlery on safety features and locks that you may be advised to install.
- Ensure the boat you purchase has suitable bathroom facilities for an enjoyable day on the water.
Hopefully, these hints will assist you in getting your crew alongside and together you can embark on a great boating lifestyle.
To discuss lending options, speak with us on 1300 000 003
DISCLAIMER: THE INFORMATION AND SPECIFIC DETAILS CONTAINED IN THE CONTENT OF THIS ARTICLE HAVE BEEN PREPARED AND ARE PRESENTED PURELY AS GENERAL INFORMATION AND NOT INTENDED AS THE ONLY SOURCE OF FINANCIAL ADVICE FOR BOAT BUYERS AND LOAN BORROWERS. FOR THOSE THAT CONSIDER THEY REQUIRE SPECIFIC ADVICE, THEY SHOULD CONSULT WITH A FINANCIAL ADVISOR. LIABILITY IS NOT ACCEPTED IN REGARD TO ERRORS AND MISPRESENTED DATA AND DETAILS HEREIN.